Monday, March 1, 2010

Don't worry.... that cough will go away in a few days

So, I didn't go to school yesterday. Before anyone accuses me of being a truant or not studying for a test (I did miss one), I'm still not feeling better. A few weeks ago I referenced a cold that turned into bronchitis. I started feeling better but then last week, I had a relapse and caught strep from my daughter. She's doing fine, thank you, but her old man has been contagious and just feeling like warm dog food. Hopefully now I'm not contagious, but I didn't want to risk it in class.

I asked for and received permission not to come to class. Dr. Hunter's simple answer to my email was that it makes no sense to infect the class. Long story short, I get a chance to re take my test. I'm really trying not to look at my notes and I have the 5 page essay about half way done. When I'm done with this post, I'll finish my test. I really want to learn something, and I'm proud that I've not looked at my book. This quiz will probably kill me grade-wise, but I am doing this as much for the experience as I am for the eventual degree.

So, another interesting thing that has played out over the last two weeks is that I now have an in class friend. He's a very interesting kid. Man, I shouldn't say that, I don't care how much younger he is. Let me rephrase that. He's a really interesting guy. He's a musician too. He emailed me some music he has been working on, and it's really very good. He has a nice advantage now compared to the time I was his age (You can picture me on the rocking chair as I'm saying that, can't you?), he has a studio on his computer that is light years more state of the art than even the most professional studio back when I was a professional. I wish him well. He's a great guy and his music is very good. It has an 80's fun vibe, but still sounds fresh. I hope he goes far.

At any rate he and I swapped emails today and he let me have notes from today's class. Once this Native American test is done, it's bang, straight into 9 songs and 50 pages of reading on the music and culture of South America.
This is going to be a very intense week.

No comments:

Post a Comment