Sunday, February 21, 2010

Two weeks is too much time off

I'm feeling terrible. It's been over two weeks since my last post. Long story, but I've been sick with what has become a terrible case of bronchitis. I'm taking care of myself, I promise.

At any rate, illness, a national holiday, and general work stress have me very far behind. Two weeks is simply far too much time between classes. I'm still reading and trying to comprehend the 50 or so pages we had to read for TOMORROW'S FIRST TEST. Yeah, old habits die hard. While I was coughing up a lung here and there, I should have put more effort into learning the material. What material you ask? Well, here was the topic of my original post.

Is that a didgeridoo in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Two weeks ago Dr. Hunter spent the entire class talking about the Aborigine music and culture. I learned a LOT. So much so, that any hope of retaining it will be futile this late in the game. Dr. Hunter even brought in a didgeridoo....or rather a didgeribone. It's a cross between a didgeridoo and a trombone. Here is a pic of him in class.
Didgeridu">

What I've learned is that the Aborigine's "music" is very private and is tied to the earth and kin. I could get my notes and tell you more, but I'm still trying to absorb this.

Thankfully Dr. Hunter is allowing us to use our notes for this test. The one thing I remember from my last college experience is to take notes with the idea that anyone reading them should have some idea of what you did in class. I try to do that at work, and I think I've accomplished this so far.

Tomorrow will be good, as I imagine that it will put the fear of God and discipline back into me, which I sorely need. Too much time away isn't a good thing.

I'll be back on the blog tomorrow with a report on how it went. Keep your fingers crossed.... I can't keep my eyes open much longer tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment