Sunday, January 17, 2010

Holy Syllabus, Batman

I think I mentioned that I'd been in contact with my teacher last week. Holy crap...school starts one week from tomorrow! In my email encounter with my teacher, he mentioned a syllabus would be forthcoming in email. It arrived at my Oakton "in box". this morning. I looked at it kinda stunned. Not that there was anything wrong with it. It's now very real. Two months of planning and the final decision to go back to school is now a reality.

The syllabus: The learning objectives all seem great.
A. To develop a greater understanding of and respect for non-Western cultures through studying their music.
B. To achieve an understanding of music concepts such as melody, rhythm, and organization that can be applied to the study of each musical style.
C. To provide experiences that will enable the learners to gain knowledge and the ability to recognize the principal characteristics of each cultural style.
D. To provide experiences that will enable the learners to function independently as music listeners throughout their lives.

This sounds great. Looks like I'll have a listening exam every other week. I'll have an 8-10 page final paper to write too. Plus...ta da.. and oral report. Given the fact that I'm hardly shy and am used to crowds, this is gonna fun. I don't expect this to be easy by any means, but this could be a lot of fun if I continue in this very positive mindset.

My first class starts one week from tomorrow. I'm as excited as ever.

1 comment: